Thursday, July 09, 2009

quiltalong block A

I'm finally ready to move along with something I started way last year, my quilt-along for this quilt:


Jan at Creative Instigation is hosting a brainstorming session for the name of this quilt here. I like the ideas so far, and have another possibility I came up with myself, but I'm still open for suggestions if you have them.

So. Here is my original quilt-along post that includes yardage requirements for making the quilt as pictured.

And here are the directions for block A, which finishes at 10" square (it will be 10.5" before you sew it into the quilt):

Step 1: Choose two fabrics. For the center, cut a 6.5" square. For the first two sides, cut strips 2.5" x 6.5". (Don't you love these fabrics? This is the fabulous Figgy Pudding line designed by Basic Grey for Moda. I'm so happy to finally have this fabric in my grubby little paws.)


Step 2: Sew the strips to the center piece using 1/4" seam allowances. Press seams.



Step 3: Cut two more strips, for the top and bottom of the block, that are 10.5"x2.5 I used a fabric with a directional print (is that a word?) so I needed to cut these strips the opposite way from the side strips.

Step 4: Sew the strips to the block top and bottom using 1/4" seam allowances. Press seams.



Done! Let me know if you make any of these blocks, I'd love to see them!

In the next couple days I will post the block B tutorial. And I'm thinking about adding a couple more block designs to this pattern, too. And maybe a flickr group, and I'm having some thoughts about open source quilting.... Stay tuned....

9 comments:

Audrie said...

Think Outside The Box / Square? Square One? Btw I just ordered Figgy Pudding fabrics (they're arriving tomorrow yay!) and I'm so excited :)

Dielle said...

Beautiful, Vic! It was so good to talk to you this evening!

Tacie Hoffman said...

I just found your blog, and boy does it rock! I'll certainly be coming back!

Anonymous said...

Love the fabrics you used in your block A tutorial.

Nanette Merrill said...

Perfect! I did think of this type of design for my Jamie/Eagles quilt. I like the simplicity of it. I need to make a baby quilt soon for my grand nephew. This might work.

Samina said...

You so inspire me to get back into quilting, its been a loooong time, but you do such nice work. And the fabrics you are using are so vibrant. I'm glad I joined your following. Your blog is awesome, plz stop by my blogsite any time: www.slipstitches.com

Merritt said...

I just finished a baby quilt based on your quilt along. Thanks for making it so simple and clear. I'm looking for an email link to send you a pic of my finished quilt . . . but can't find it. Thanks again for your instructions. merrittjunk@msn.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, thankyou for the tutorial on such a lovely quilt. Can you please tell me what size each block is once the top and side sash pieces are sewn on? Thanks again, Emma.

Vicki said...

Anon--the blocks are 10" when finished.