Tuesday, February 09, 2010

hen and chicks

 
I made a few more chicks today and their mother hen for DQS8. At first I didn't like the hen (these are colors I hope my quilt swap recipient will like but they wouldn't be my first choice for me, you know?) But after I added the polka-dot comb I decided I like her. 

Paper piecing can get confusing, I didn't get the right number of chicks facing the way I wanted so I might make a couple more; I want most of them to be following behind her.  I turned one of the chicks over so you can get a better idea what they will look like finished.

I am still planning on making some eggs but I'm not sure about how the quilt will be arranged yet. Maybe with a vertical row of eggs and some Collaborative Quilting-style wonky stars or shoo-fly blocks too. 

p.s. if you haven't voted yet, please check out the Handmade Olympics at Rikrak Studio and vote for my Noah's Ark Quilt! (You can only vote once, voting is open until 2/17.) I looked through all the categories and I love all the quirky things (especially the elephant) in event 7, check it out! :)

12 comments:

roseylittlethings said...

adorable!!! I want to make one now!!!!!

Jan aka StampQn said...

I love this square!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a traditional gal, but I can definitely see a fun take on that square. Love it!

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

Your mother hen and chicks are darling! I love the idea of having them follow! So cute!!

Allie said...

So stinkin cute!
I love your Noah quilt too!

RosaMaría said...

i love it!

Terri said...

Almost as cute as Clucky Renee! Remember her?

Leslie said...

these are really adorable

Diane said...

Love your hen and chicks! Adorable!

Elizabeth said...

What a cute hen. The colors are great! I love the little chicks too. Are the pattern available somewhere? I've love to have them -- I'm getting ready to make a chicken quilt. Thanks!

Julie said...

are the chicks and hen also from A Quilters Ark book?
if not where would I find them?
I just have to make some
thanks julie
fireflylanedesigns@yahoo.com

Rita @ Mochi Studios said...

more cute chicks and a mama chick! so cute!!